Steril-Aire has been independently tested to deliver an average of over 5 times the output of other ultraviolet devices under HVAC operating conditions. The EPA/Department of Homeland Security reports that Steril-Aire UVC devices achieved 99.96% destruction in a single pass on airborne bacteria, 99% on viruses and 96% on spores. Steril-Aire's multi-patented UVC Emitter™ provides the best and longest-lasting UVC performance available.
Steril-Aire UVC Emitters™ are systems-engineered to deliver the highest output under HVAC conditions (50ºF @ 400 fpm air velocity), providing the best germicidal control. Installed in new or existing HVAC systems, Steril-Aire germicidal UVC keep components clean to reduce energy and maintenance costs.
Healthy Building, Healthy Bottom Line
Steril-Aire offers a rapid return on investment with an average payback of less than 2 years (often less than 1 year). Steril-Aire germicidal UVC will not only keep your building healthy by improving indoor air quality, it will keep your bottom line healthy by lowering utility bills, reducing maintenance and prolonging HVAC equipment life.
Evidence-Based Design: Steril-AireTM Germicidal UVC Delivers a 6 Log Microbial Load Reduction, Improves NICU Outcomes
A newly published peer-reviewed abstract1 documents the effectiveness of Steril-Aire UVC Emitters in reducing ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP) in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU).
The study was performed at the Buffalo Department of Pediatrics, Neonatology, Women and Children's Hospital of Buffalo (NY) over 2.5 years. The microorganisms found in the HVAC system included Pseudomonas, Klebsiella, Serratia, Acinetobacter, Staphylococcus aureus and Coagulase-negative Staphlococcus species. The study concluded that Steril-Aire germicidal UVC "eradicated microbes in HVACs and was associated with a decrease in NICU environmental pathogens and tracheal colonization."
The study showed a greater than 6 Log (that's 99.9999%) microbial load reduction per square centimeter of HVAC coil in just 6 days!
Study Conclusions: The study determined that UVGI decreased HVAC microbial colonization with significant reductions in VAP due to a decrease in NICU environmental pathogens and tracheal colonization. The study finding also included a decrease in antibiotic use in NICU high-risk patients.
VAP, the second most common hospital-acquired infection among pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) patients, is responsible for an increased length of stay and an attributable health-care cost estimated at over $30,000. VAP has also been associated with the emergence of antibiotic-resistant microorganisms.
Cost Savings and Possibly Lives Saved
With the NICU implementation of Steril-Aire UVC, the Women and Children's Hospital of Buffalo has realized an $800,000/year reduction in direct costs and a $1.7 million/year reduction in 3rd party charges. And, considering the fact that VAP has a mortality rate estimated to be as high as 27%, the Steril-Aire solution is literally ... priceless.
This is just one of many case studies showing the effectiveness of Steril-Aire Germicidal UVC. Their devices are used around the world in hospitals, laboratories, schools, government facilities, offices and homes. They are also effective in reducing mold and bacterial contamination during food processing, packaging and storage to enhance quality and safety and extend shelf life and product yield.
Benefits of Steril-Aire Germicidal UVC devices:
• Energy Savings: Lowers energy costs by improving HVAC system heat transfer, increasing net cooling capacity and reducing pressure drop across cooling coils.
• Maintenance Savings and Extended Coil Life: Continuously cleans coils, drain pans plenums and ducts, reducing or eliminating manual cleaning and the use of harmful chemicals.
• Improved Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) – According to the CDC, nearly 100,000 Americans die every year from hospital acquired infections. Recent studies indicate that HVAC systems may grow and disseminate infectious bacteria such as Clostridium difficile, Legionella pneumophila and Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). Death rates have increased in recent years due to the emergence of drug-resistant strains. Improved IAQ is like an ounce of prevention being worth many pounds of cure.
• Water Conservation: Reclaiming clean condensate for tower makeup, irrigation or gray water flushing reduces water and waste water costs.
• Rapid Return on Investment: Offers a return on investment in less than 2 years, sometimes less than 1 year. Customized lease to purchase programs are available to make the process easy and convenient.
• LEED Contribution: UVC may contribute to LEED points in one or more areas.
Indoor Environmental Solutions is proud to be working with Steril-Aire, Inc. because they offer the best high-output ultraviolet germicidal solutions for improved indoor air quality and energy efficiency. IES is the distributor for Steril-Aire in north Florida, the east coast of Georgia and South Carolina. Please contact us today for more information on how we can help you benefit from a healthier, more energy efficient indoor environment.
Frequently Asked Questions About Germicidal UVC and Steril-Aire